Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 19:20:43 -0700
From:      Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SCSI tape drive recommendations?

> I have a 4.5-RELEASE system and have just taken possession of an
> AHA-2940 ultra scsi card: I think it's time I took a serious look
> at backing stuff up. Someone gave me a tape drive that turned out
> to be an floppy tape unit, unsupported under FreeBSD. So I'm
> looking to do it right this time. Any either recommended units or
> brands and formats?
>
> I don't have but a few Gb of stuff to back up, 10 at the outside
> for now. The most any machine will take up is 2-3 Gb. Boxes I'd
> like to have backed up range from Mac OS 9/X to FreeBSD and NetBSD.
> --
> Paul Beard

You didn't give any guidance about what you're willing to spend.  For
backing up "about 10 gb" I'd recommend a DDS-3 DAT drive, if you've got
$500-ish to sink into it.  A DDS-3 drive costs a lot more than a DDS-2, but
it's so much faster that it's well worth it if you're serious about backups.
The fact that the tapes hold 12gb (before compression) rather than DDS-2's
4gb sounds about right for your needs, too.

Now for a bit of unorthodoxy:  since you mentioned MacOS, have a look at
Retrospect from Dantz software for backing up.  There's betaware of the OS X
version available at www.dantz.com.  I've been using Retrospect for backups
since 1993, it beats anything I've ever worked with in the past 30 years.
(But I haven't used the OSX version yet, I'm not sure if it's NFS-savvy.)

-- Ian